free stats

Thursday, March 01, 2007

An Antique Silver Loophole in The February Treasurer's Report

While lounging in a French Quarter shop a few weeks ago waiting for the owner to wrap four silver mint julep cups I'd plucked from his shelves for my sister's birthday present, it occurred to me that altruism could be just the thing to get me through this no spending on myself plan. Technically, I can't shop for me. But there's nothing in the rules against buying unto others. Quite to the contrary, how could I not honor this significant birthday with a significant gift? Sure they were pricey, I thought while he wrapped them in delicate French tissue paper, but not only am I getting her a smashing gift, I'm helping the New Orleans economy rebound.

Time to tally the February receipts for shopping on myself.
You might be clucking with disapproval upon seeing that an amount pops up this month. That's supposed to be zero, you say. You'd be right. But as I explained last week , my gloves got a hole in them and I can't very well go around looking like a hobo. So $11.89 was spent on a (ridiculous) pair of new gloves. That leaves $2.09, which was spent purchasing two songs from iTunes. So I slipped a bit. If only I could find a way to justify it as a charitable contribution. As with January, dining expenses continue to be about half as much as the previous year when I'm not going out and shopping all the time. The irony being that the less I dine out, the more I lose weight, and the more I need new clothes. What a pickle. March is going to be tricky...

7 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck.

That is all.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Buying people extravagant gifts is really a win-win. You get to feel like a good person for being so generous and it guilts people into getting you equally great gifts. Plus you don't need to spend money on yourself because of all the awesome gifts you're getting. So I take that back, thats a win-win-win.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh ooooh! buy me a cute new summer dress and we can "share" it!!!! (please?)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Etc., I fear that spring will be my undoing. I won't be able to resist the pretty ads that I know are coming soon in the Times' Sunday Styles. And your plan has one fatal flaw: you're like, a size 2.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hak! hak! *choking on my 7 lb chipo-po burrito*

8:04 PM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

You're kicking ass on that shopping plan, I'll even let the whopping $13.98 slide. This time.

I say embrace your atruism. Every commentor gets a pony!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Phew....;-)
And indeed: ponies all around!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home