free stats

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Pants of the Traveling Sisterhood, Or, The January Treasurer's Report

A few weeks ago I was whining about my inability to purchase a pair of midnight blue Elie Tahari cords because of my draconian self-imposed spending ban in the '07. Yet there I am, at left, wearing said pants. "Did you crack and start shopping already?" you might be gasping at this very minute. No, Doubting Delilah, I did not. On Sunday I met my parents for brunch and in their car sat one of my favorite sights: the buttercup yellow and pink bag from the boutique that sold the pants. After reading that aforementioned whimpering blog post, my sister had called the shop and purchased the pants for me as a treat for making it through my first month of frugality. It's a good lesson, folks. Not only that I have the greatest sister in the world, but also about teamwork: I sniffle, the team spoils me.

And now for the January treasurer's report. As part of this year-long effort I will be unflinchingly presenting each month's results. If you'll remember, I'm not limiting dining out, but I am tracking it out of curiousity. Already, I've spent way less than last year. I should also mention in this report that fellow blogger Barzelay was an invaluable member of the team this month, sending me a copy of The Decemberists album after I whined that I couldn't buy it under the new plan. I will happily print an honor roll in the monthly treasurer's report of those of you who somehow help your fellow man and woman (not just me) save money this year. Creativity, but not illegality, will be noted.

14 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Legality is relative anyways.

She said she was 21.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Nice work, and nice pants!

I have removed myself from every last email solicitation I get.

Shopbop, I miss you almost every day.

But it's helping.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is a purely financial thing, rather than being about materialism and collecting more and more stuff?

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that that's a bad thing. Just wonderin' Looks like you're saving quite a bit. I should probably limit my ordering-out expense.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Spending money to help you/others save money?

Sorry, but that goes against our playaz business model (but kudos to you for implementing it in your own life!).

10:25 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

The pants are hot... the budgetary success? Even hotter.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

I-66- I think that avatar would be more accurate if those little points were up on top of your I-66 head.

Kathryn- I'm still trying to undo them! (the solicitations, not the pants) But those Pottery Barn troopers are not going down without a fight.

Baker- I'd love to say it's all about not being so materialistic, but then I would be unable to finish writing the piece I'm working on because I will have been struck dead by lightning. I'd say in general, that it's about just spending less money period, because last year's shopping bill was just plain nutty.

Phil- The Playaz' refusal to join "Team Brunch Bird" will be noted. I can't promise you won't be targeted for ridicule by members of the team.

LMNT- Hey, your avatar people are striking the same pose that I and my new pants did in today's picture!

10:47 PM  
Blogger E :) said...

Lovely! Great teamwork. If I vowed not to buy anything for a year, my sisters would laugh and call me stupid, steal my good clothes then watch the rest fall apart. I'd probably end the year having to walk around at least partly naked - a sight for sore eyes!

11:28 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I think my contribution to your cause will be this.

Perfect for Brunch Bird.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Oh. My. God.
I smell my first product endorsement! (and it smells like tasty fried bacon...)

2:28 AM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

AHLAHALAHALA! (covers ears) I'm not listening. Dude, seriously, this might be the first comment I ever delete.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

still going for a full 12 months? really? oy.

3:07 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

So I guess my first contribution was half of my avatar to be blown up and used in this post. And here I was thinking you had just had nice hips and good shoe-taste. No, apparently I have nice hips and good shoe-taste. Sheesh.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Etc-I am so going to make it.

Barz-I'll take my chances with God. Not so much with the feds.

LMNT (or shall I call you Girly Hips?)—I'll let you in on a secret, a sort of a Highlights magazine, "What's Wacky About This Picture?" An eagle-eyed reader points out that the photo is taken at exactly the right angle so the points of my boots actually also look like the backs of heels of shoes. Essentially, my feet could be backwards depending on how you look at the pic. Just like that Old hag/Hot young French chick black on white drawing, you know?

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home