free stats

Thursday, January 18, 2007

URGENT: No Self-Spending Plan Faces First Significant Test!

In my much-publicized effort to not spend money on myself this year I'd canceled the catalogues and unsubscribed from all of the retail email advertising that crams my inbox. Even while in stores with others I've been the picture of restraint thus far. But an email snuck through today. My Achilles' HighHeel: Sitting Pretty in Annapolis. Starting tomorrow they're marking everything in the store down to under $100 for a final winter clearance. Before I even realized what I was doing I was on the phone with the boutique's owner this morning. "Do you still have those midnight blue Elie Tahari corduroy pants?" I asked, twirling the phone cord absent-mindedly, trying to sort out quickly in my head if I wanted the answer to be yes or no. I'd tried the pants on in a mid-December visit to the store and they were amazing (perfect for the next four months), but I had already been teetering close to a total bill best described somewhere between "ouch" and "booooinnnggg." The owner came back to the phone. "Just in a size 8," she said. WHY DO YOU TEMPT ME OH LORD?! Oh, and tomorrow these very-much-in-my-size pants, originally $200, are getting marked down to $50. "Well, I'll be in Houston tomorrow morning," I said, less to her and more to myself as a way of reminding myself I couldn't get them anyway. "You can just call in with a credit card at 10 a.m.," she offered helpfully.

Is this what quitting smoking feels like?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quitting smoking feels like your best friend died. So if it feels like that, then yes.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

All right Cap'n Wetblanket, so it's not that bad.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wondering why you set out to go the WHOLE YEAR in this monk-ish practice. is that really doing? i mean, be honest, sister. its jan 18. why not just give yourself the first financial quarter?

does sittin pretty have lay away?

also, when you stop by to pick up the cords, please feel free to purchase me a couple of dresses to wear to the SEVEN weddings i'll be attending this summer. (had to cancel Feb vacay to bahamas in order to afford travel to weddings.) on second thought, maybe i'll just come to the birdhouse and raid your closet. i'll leave the dogs at home. and dont worry, i only drink white wine.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between Roosh V's sexonomics and Ar-Jew-Tino's smokonomics, the DC blogosphere seems to be on a cost-cutting kick. The real question is: what is your budget-tightening going to cost you? Personally, the accompanying bump in my bar tab usually foils my efforts at penny-pinching. And if the stress of a missed bargain drives you to take up smoking, what have you really accomplished?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

My new book, Smokanomics, will be published soon (all that's left is writing it). I'll dedicate it to d. carp for inspiring the title.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they fit great, are a great price and you will wear them again next year, then I say buy them. Eat carrot sticks for dinner one night if you feel guilty spending the money.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Etc-Yes, I planned poorly for this year-long effort. Namely, I should have made it a month-long effort.
And mi closet es su closet of course.

D.Carp- Good point. Smoking begins in earnest this evening. Admittedly, I might have glossed over your actual point.

Ar- Subtitle: If I Did It, How I Would Take up Smoking

Barz-Marry me. Or at the very least, become my accountant.

Travel- That's the kind of sensible thinking this blog needs!

11:52 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

I hope you bought those pants! The odds of your having to purchase a pair of new pants between this winter and next are probably fairly good, right? So this way, you not only saved yourself $150, you are ahead for next year. =-)

I have eaten carrott sticks (oK, it was M&M's but whatever) to atone for a purchase, but a $50 pair of Elie Tahari pants are non-negotiable!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Barz is right. This is like in accounting class when you learn about "Accounts Payable." You emotionally invested in those pants last year. Now's just the time to pay for them.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home