free stats

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Let's Tally the Number of Celebrities I've Rubbed Elbows With in the Past Week

Zero. Now let's tally the number of celebrities my sister-in-law and brother have mingled with: a gajillion. Because while I was slogging through the primordial ooze of a wintry D.C. week, they were out in L.A. for the Oscars. Not "coincidentally, when the Oscars were occurring." Actually for the Oscars.

With the requisite vaguery and evasiveness I will say only that it was my sister-in-law's* executive role that found them there. My brother apparently decided that houses in Atlanta could design themselves for the week and while she pressed the flesh, he lounged poolside and cased the celebrity swag tents for possible porous entry points. Their hotel? The old school glam and recently re-opened to massive buzz Roosevelt. The gift basket in their room the first night? It had an iPod in it. The celebs they were lounging around with (separated only by a distance of a few chairs here or a table there)? Clive Owen, Diddy, and some guy from 24 who doesn't count because that's TV and this is the Oscars for God's sake. And at the big event, they snapped a pic or two of the folks gracing the red carpet.

I've posted two versions of one of their pictures. Above, the cropped one. Below, the uncropped one, proving that celebrities are just like you and me. We all get to have unsightly strip malls obscured from our gaze by fake hedges.


*Yes, this is the same sister-in-law who last year scored off of Jon Stewart at the Emmys.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

I once saw Ted Danson in Santa Monica. I just about lost my shit.

I have never been easy-going around celebrities. I get too excited and want to touch them. Hopefully, your sister-in-law was much cooler.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we saw Puffy we were in the lounge/lobby of the hotel with a few other people. He went to the bathroom and I mentioned that it would be amusing to go in and stand next to him, lean over, look down with a look of disdain and say “P Diddy indeed”. My wife promptly dared me and the other guy in our group to do it. Since his Diddyness has four bodyguards all of whom look like they take the lunch money from Navy SEALS I declined. I really did not want to chase my Maker’s Mark with a urinal cake.

7:32 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

iPod iPod? Or iPod nano?

8:40 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Nano. Monogrammed with the company's symbol.

9:04 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Bah. Not as cool as I hoped.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

uhhhh - CLIVE OWEN lounging by the pool!!?? So semi-nude!?!

Green. I'm GREEEEEN with envy! *stamps her foot and pouts ala a 2 year old* I WANNA GO!!!

10:45 PM  
Blogger E :) said...

Love how you chose a photo of two Aussie celebs. Props for that. (Even though I don't like Nicole Kidman, but I do love Naomi Watts.)

I wouldn't mind a free Nano...

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That second photo is too funny. In terms of celebs, I used to interview 'em for a living and I usually didn't get too nervous. But the night I met both Matt Damon and Tom Brady, I have to say I wasn't so smooth -- more blubbering idiot.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home