free stats

Friday, March 30, 2007

No-Spending Plan Tabled, Or, The March Treasurer's Report

By now you all know the story: I'm trying to not to spend any money on myself in 2007. But remember the Jefferson Hotel sale I told you about yesterday? Um, yes, well see the thing is...OK, here's the deal*: since last spring I've been trying to find a wrought iron table for my balcony. I logged significant frequent flyer miles on Smith&Hawken, Tarjay, Craigslist, you name it. The table wasn't out there unless I was willing to pay $300. Which I wasn't. So when I pushed open a tall glass terrace door at the Jefferson and saw one of those perfect $300 tables sitting there, with a price tag of $125, I knew that I was going to have to recalibrate my principles. Make no mistake: I don't dither over whether to recalibrate my principles if the price is right. I do however feel more than a twinge of guilt about this slip now. It's really going to gnaw at me as I spend Saturday morning on the balcony, reading the paper, eating my croissant, at my new table.

Here's the damage for March:




*All phone calls to my parents for my four years of college opened with the phrase "here's the deal." It was immediately followed by a highly cogent explanation for why X-number of dollars were needed.

9 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Ah yes. "Here's the deal" for me often is followed at some point by "what you've got to understand is..." It is quite an efficient manner of negotiation.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Carrie M said...

You must embrace the Tao of Shopping. When you find something for that good of a deal, you have to get it or face Not-Buying Remorse. The table is an investment!

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i look forward to being served an elaborate brunch at said table, now that the weather is warm.

and dont you mean 3.5 yrs of college?

2:18 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Compared to last year it is MUCH better. Definitely a necessity and would have cost more not to buy it now. Carrie is right... An Investment!

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't spend $125 - you saved $175. Good job!

5:13 PM  
Blogger inowpronounceyou said...

Mine is "OK, I have a theory". But I dig your table!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Nice table and great day to enjoy it. Sorry I missed you at the HH - I think I left right before your crew arrived.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Beakerz said...

It's a beautiful table. I'm sure you'll make it well worth the $125 you invested.

Cute how you've made a spreadsheet of expenses. That way you spend most of your time filling that in, rather than spending it. Well, planned.

5:54 PM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

While I appreciate your most noble of efforts, you have to allow yourself a treat every now and again. A great bargain! What a treat it is!

If you find yourself losing sleep to guilt, perhaps consider spending a weekend building a habitat for humanity. Then you can eat your croissanwiches in peace.

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home