free stats

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Tuesday Sinner, Wednesday Saint

It’s Ash Wednesday, which in my case marks the first of 40 days and nights of unmitigated crankiness because I give up sweets for Lent. Like any self-respecting Catholic, I crammed as much of my vice in yesterday as possible, snacking on some M&Ms after lunch and eating a half a piece of chocolate cake from Tryst for dinner. Fat Tuesday indeed. I find it takes the sting out of the Lenten kickoff if I get myself to the point where the mere mention of a petit four makes me want to hurl. Mission accomplished. Fair warning though: by Day 15 you’ll likely find me licking the glass at Patisserie Poupon. But what always amazes me is that at the end of Lent I feel thinner, have more energy, and have faster running times, yet my delight over those developments lasts only long enough to locate my Easter basket and start popping Cadbury eggs and Peeps into my cheeks like a chipmunk storing up for a nuclear winter. The health benefits are just never enough in my mind to outweigh the majesty of strawberry shortcake.

(And yes I realize that this post conflicts with Jesus's policy of not letting the right hand know what the left hand is doing when it comes to acts of religious sacrifice, but Jesus didn’t have to come up with 300+ blog posts a year.)

8 Comments:

Blogger The Goo said...

Bah, I tried to give up sweets one year for Lent. I did really, really, well until about day 23, when I wanted sugar so badly that I ate an entire box of raisins. I promptly threw them all back up.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Oh that's so nasty. Yeah, I find that my definition of sweets becomes a somewhat sliding scale. Mid-Lent I tend to rationalize that say, hot chocolate is a beverage and not a sweet.

2:27 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

The "I'm giving up blogging for lent" watch is on.

I, as an Agnostic, will attempt not to rub in your face my ingestion of sweets on a regular basis.

No promises, though.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Jesus would have had a kick ass blog with all the miracles and such.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

That would make a great weekly feature!: "What Would Jesus Blog'

7:15 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Ooh! I know! I know!

Day 1: Where am I, and what are these holes in my hands?

Day 2: Just looked in the mirror. Holy crap, I'm black?

Day 3: What do you mean people associate me with a fish?!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Day 4: Water Into Wine? No Problem. Parking in Adams Morgan? Forget It.

Day 5: I Wept...Over the $&#* Red Line Delays This Morning

Day 6: I Know I'm the Prince of Peace and All But Michelle Malkin is Seriously Pushing My Buttons

Day 7 Nothing. Jesus, like his father, wouldn't blog on the seventh day.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. But since sweets aren't my only vice, I'm struggling through alcohol and cigarettes too.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home