free stats

Friday, February 09, 2007

One Clear Winner in the FishbowlDC Rising Star Journalists Contest

UPDATE: Things are looking grim. Our man David is now in fourth place. I'm just going to put this out there: Florida in 2000. Ohio in 2004. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. Polls close at 5 p.m. today so start voting for him like it's your job.

You could vote for David Francis of The Washington Examiner in FishbowlDC's Rising Star Journalist competition because he's a terribly funny guy, a devil with the ladies (OK, one in particular), and a smashing house/dog sitter (I suspect he loves my and the S.O.'s dog more than we do, and he left his extra beer in the fridge when he went back home). But if you want to base your vote on actual journalistic merits (just for giggles, say) I will tell you this: David Francis is a rare breed of young journalist who operates on the premise that keeping your head down and busting your ass to do good reporting is the best possible course. In other words, he's the complete antithesis of the whiner with the sense of entitlement who comes out of J-school believing The Boston Globe should be waiting at the exit with his g.a. position. So please go now and Vote David Francis. Polls close at 5 p.m. Monday. You can say you knew him when. (Which is good because he'll be completely unmanagable if he wins.)

9 Comments:

Blogger bjcolligan said...

And think we know by now what we can do with early returns and exit polling. That said, either you have a lot of loyal readers or this Francis fellow has a lot of friends.

Either way, he's cleaning up so far.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Yes, I recall trying to produce actual works of journalism on Nov. 2, 2004, with someone interrupting to get my hopes up with his precious exit polling.

And I wouldn't want to speculate on either loyalty or numbers, but I'm confident Brunch Bird readers can be counted on to get out the vote.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Static Cling!
Here's hoping you quit smoking so I can say the same next year.

5:12 PM  
Blogger bjcolligan said...

Thanks. If I ever don't live in a place that encourages babies to smoke, perhaps quitting will prove an easier path to tread.

And that wasn't entirely my fault with the exit polling. It was all properly sourced and I told you, "Remember what happened last time."

Still, I thought Pennsylvania and Ohio were clearly in Kerry's corner. I still can't believe I convinced myself that quitter would actually become president. Man, I am gullible sometimes.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

At 1:30, David Francis is at 37% to 23% for that other guy. Which basically means he's already better thought of than our president. But that's a whole other conversation, I guess.

Clearly, BB, your get-out-the-vote effort is paying off. :)

6:37 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

He has this highway's vote. Rachel Barth had better be hot, or something.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor, poor Jennifer Hoar...That can't be a real name, can it?

10:36 PM  
Blogger bjcolligan said...

The TIMES!?!? Our boy was beaten by the WASHINGTON TIMES?!?! What the hell is going on around here?

I feel just like I did when I bet Barbaro to win the Preakness.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

And we all know what happened to Barbaro David. I'm just sayin'...

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home