free stats

Friday, February 23, 2007

It's Hallmark of Intelligence, Humor and SoForth Award Day

The Altruistic Smarty Pants

There are two types of college students: those who are a bit restless and graduate in three-and-a-half years because the thought of going a full four seems like it will lead to excruciating ennui (cough cough), and those who graduate and decide to come back for more because they want to learn how to master a task: writing or arithmetic maybe. Or, say, saving the world. Well a certain Brunch Bird commenter and ardent proponent of this site from its earliest days has decided to try her dainty hand at the latter. And today she found out that she's been accepted to the London School of Economics and Political Science. Which is great, because I can now get even more reflected-glory mileage out of her. Before at cocktail parties I was only able to finger my pearls and say, "Darling, a friend of mine worked in the refugee camps in Darfur and says we really must do something about it." Now I can say, "Darling, a friend of mine who worked in the refugee camps in Darfur and who is now over in London studying the matter further says we really must do something about it." See how my capacity for smug intellectual banter increases exponentially? Oh, and don't even think about calling dibs on crashing on her couch once she gets there. It was the second thing out of my mouth after a hearty huzzah.*

*Now that London's in the picture, I'm also going to unleash the floodgates of pretentious British linguistic references.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Raise the roof for Etcetera!!!

Um, agoogley.

(please tell me you know what I'm quoting here)

4:58 PM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

Bravo! Bloody congrats, old chap!

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you guys ROCK! thanks!

we all know i'm just going to LSE to see harry potter NEKID in that play!!!!!

(expect a surge in adult circumcision among british men in approx 9 months.)

5:03 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Ooh, Kathryn, me, me!: Ned's British relative at the Flanders' reunion! Ned's British relative at the Flanders' reunion!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

Everyone bow down to the 'Bird, y'all.

5:08 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

Congratulations etcetera!!! That totally ROCKS!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, LMNTal!

watch out, kate middleton....

6:55 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

'Allo, Guv'na!

(I love saying that one)

Congrats, etc....I always took you for the "low-brow" enthusiast like myself. Now look at you, with your book-learnin' and such...

Good luck!!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not to worry, phil. i'm *thoroughly* low-brow. but i am planning on cultivating an affected british accent. everyone loves that.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home