free stats

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Attack of the 50-Foot Eyesore

I believe it is a truth universally acknowledged that the greatest thing to come out of Canada in 1941 was Paul Anka. Fifty-four years later, Mr. Anka cemented his place in our hearts with his appearance on a Treehouse of Horror episode of The Simpsons. In the segment, lightning strikes giant advertising icons like Springfield’s famed Lard Lad, bringing them to life. They lumber around Springfield wrecking shop. Trying to halt the destruction, Lisa Simpson works with an ad exceutive who reminds her that advertising only has as much power as people give it with their attention. So they hire Paul Anka to sing a ditty to the people of Springfield called “Just Don’t Look":

[Paul Anka]
To stop those monsters 1-2-3
Here's a fresh new way that's trouble free
It's got Paul Anka's guarantee...
[Lisa]
Guarantee void in Tennessee!

[Anka and Lisa]
Just don't look!
Just don't look!
Just don't look!
Just don't look!

I think it's apropos during a week when thousands of people are flooding the company that makes Snickers, expending energy on emails, letters, and phone calls, to complain about their Super Bowl ad.

9 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

No respect for Bryan Adams, evidently.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Bryan Adams was born in 1959, making him the best thing to come out of Canada that particular year.

9:14 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

Snickers isn't the only reason it fits so well now, right? I have a feeling you and I look at the world pretty damn similarly.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

You secretely love Paul Anka, too? Then, yes my friend, we certainly do.

10:01 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

I have a bigger mancrush on Anka than I do on Bryan Adams, dahling...

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Simpsons? Paul Anka? Snide social commentary? This post has everything but the kitchen sink!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Tell me about it. It's one Clap Your Hands Say Yeah reference away from being completely insufferable.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading Infinite Jest at the moment, and found this blog particularly interesting considering in DFW's brilliant work, there is before subsidized time and not. I agree with Anka's assessment and I think nothing proves it more than what happened with Michael Richards. I mean, in the old days some hard hittin n_gg_z would have just taken him outside and beat his ass. I understand the importance of advertising, but when you tape (yes, VHS style, I'm old school) a show and get done in a 1/3 of the time, perhaps it's gone a bit far. Not to mention, when poltical pundits advertise for products. I mean, how do you know someone's not just paying them to expostulate philosophical-like under false pretenses. Not far from having corporate sponsored years I'm sure. Perhaps it's time I purchased a TVO.

BTW; the best thing to come out of Canada is I MOTHER EARTH. I'm from Atlanta, GA and I know that.

word,
>1

2:44 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Paul Anka is only 5 years older than Bryan Adams. That is actually shocking to me.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home