free stats

Monday, February 05, 2007

As Night Falls on the Most Uptight City in the World, The Mystery of the Leg Lamp Unfolds

Making my way home as darkness descended Friday, heading down 15th toward K, I turned my collar up and grimmaced against the cold. Then, for no particular reason, I glanced up and saw it: The Leg Lamp. A warm glow emanated from the gam perched in an office window on the second floor of 1101 15th Street--a building that in all other ways is indistinguishable from those that comprise the downtown streetscape. It was the kind of light fixture that would make a grown man weep and make a blogger like me giggle and snap a camera phone pic. I went on my way, but for the rest of the weekend that oddly out-of-place-inside-the-Beltway lamp would crop up in my mind. Whose office is that? How did someone bold enough to make such a decorating decision/homage to A Christmas Story slip into our hardened city below the radar?

So today when I went out to grab my lunch, I went into 1101 15th Street, crossed the marble lobby and approached the guard desk.

Me: Hi. I'm wondering if there's just one company on the second floor of this building, or are there multiple offices?
Guard: Why?
Me: Well, I'm just curious because as I walking by the other night I noticed that in the window there's this—
Guard: The leg lamp.
Me: Yeah, the leg lamp.
Guard: I couldn't say whose office that is exactly.

It appeared from the directory that it likely resided in a law firm occupying much of the second floor. So while munching on my PB&J, I called them.

Me: Hi. I was curious if you all are the ones with the leg lamp in the window.
Secretary: Yes we are.
Me: Um...(I was taken aback, because I hadn't expected this candor) so what's the deal with it?
Secretary (chuckling): Let me let you talk to [Name Redacted].
A lawyer at the firm comes on the line and confirms that yes, it is indeed his lamp.

Leg Lamp Guy: It was a gift from my children. It arrived Monday.
Me: In a box marked fragile? (I of course pronounced it "frah-gee-lay")
Leg Lamp Guy: Well, actually it had two cards with it. One said that I was getting a very important prize. The other said that my prize was inside. When I opened it I just knew it had to go in the window.
Me: That. Is. Awesome.

So ends the mystery of The Leg Lamp. Some cool kids bought it for a cool dude, who is clearly working at a pretty damn cool law firm. Just one of a million stories in this city that hates to get naked with the lights on...

12 Comments:

Blogger E :) said...

That is bloody awesome!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

There was only one thing that could tear me away from the glow of electric sex gleaming softly in the window - the Little Orphan Annie Radio Hour!

Awesome.

10:26 PM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

Outstanding research!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

My faith in humanity is now moderately restored. This lawyer needs to open his own practice and get his ads on television immediately, right between the Eastern Motors and Senate Insurance commercials.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

I wish I was a member of that family.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Love it that you got to the bottom of it.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Alejandra Ramos said...

I love that you investigated this. I would have done the exact same thing!

That must be a pretty cool law firm...

4:48 PM  
Blogger Dennis! said...

I. Love. It.

I'll have to go investigate for myself ASAP.

8:03 PM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

That's awesome. And hysterical! I love the cards- "a very important prize."

12:24 AM  
Blogger OhMyHeart said...

hahaha, the city that hates to get naked. so true. ohhhh dc :)

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This guy definitely has a leg up on me!!!

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the proud owner of the lamp, I was thrilled to get a call from Brunch Bird. I was surprised to learn that the building guard knew exactly what she was inquiring about before she said "leg lamp". Now, as I bask in the glow of the lamp, I thank BB for spreading the word about my Major Award.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home