free stats

Thursday, January 11, 2007

"Tristram Shandy was actually No. 8 in the top 100 books of all time." "Uh, that was a chronological list."

For the last two days I've hit the ladies and gents who delivered Oscar-worthy performances in 2006 but who will be watching the awards like the rest of us: at home, in our sweatpants, up to our necks in righteous indignation at the travesty against filmmaking playing out on the stage. (I'm just assuming that everyone gets as much in a froth about these things as I. I mean, Crash? Come'on! Denzel Washington in Training Day?! Really?!) Today we've got:

The Best Movies of 2006 That Won't Get Nominated:
Thank You for Smoking
Dave Chappelle's Block Party
Friends With Money
The Proposition
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story
A Prairie Home Companion


I'm not actually picking a winner out of this category today because the film that I think truly is the best movie of 2006--Children of Men--should actually get nominated. And tomorrow: the Most Disappointing Films of 2006. And I can goshdarnguarantee you that at least one of them will get an Oscar nod...sigh...

7 Comments:

Blogger Washington Cube said...

Ryan Gosling was amazing in Half Nelson, and yes, he got the nod from People's Choice, but I wonder if Oscar will notice him? I also enjoyed Edward Norton for his part in Down in the Valley.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Add Half Nelson to best movies, and I loved The Proposition.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. you really liked children of men that much, huh? guess i should see it. it just seemed like a way creepier Handmaid's Tale from the preview.

2:43 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

I'm with Wash Cube...Ryan Gosling is always underrated and amazing in Half Nelson. I found myself disgusted, entralled and crying by the end of that movie.Too bad only 10 of us saw it.

Perfection.

2:44 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

Barzelay--LOVED Brick. One of the best films I've seen. Period. Also, I haven't seen it yet but I am hearing phenomenal things about:
Pan's Labyrinth
Volver

8:35 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Thank you for Smoking was hilarious, and I'm an avowed non-smoker who dislikes being in the company of those who do.

...Yeah, it is cool isn't it?...I mean, guns are to be treated with respect, you understand?!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do NOT be bad mouthing Denzel for his Training Day win. It was as worthy or better then the other nominees. The other top two being Tom Wilkison for In The Bedroom and Will Smith for Ali. I do take umbrage with Guy Piere not being nominated for Memento. It should also goe with out saying what a travesty that nobody from the cast of Pearl Harbor got a nom.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home