free stats

Monday, December 18, 2006

"Wait outside Bill. And try not to give anybody rabies."

While in a vegetative state on the couch this weekend I was flipping through the channels and about had a heart attack when I saw this:
That's "A Wish for Wings that Work," and I haven't seen it on TV since its 1991 debut. That year, it captured the heart of a brace-wearing Catholic school girl who believed that if she was lucky she might one day become Mrs. BrunchBird Breathed. As it turns out, about 10 years after that I had an interaction with Berkeley Breathed in furtherance of giving the coolest Christmas gift I've ever bestowed in my life.

My Bloom County addiction came straight from my much older and decidedly cooler brother. So while many girls my age were reading Tiger Beat, I was curled up with "Loose Tails" and "Tunes for Our Times." I associate those books now with the happy view of the 1980s that only a child of them could have, and idolizing my brother. Anyhoo, a few years back, Breathed released a new book. I ordered a copy of it from a very cool bookstore that also reps his artwork. I enclosed a note with my order, explaining that it would be for my brother and the gist of the first part of this paragraph and I'd love it if he could autograph it. So Breathed signs the book that comes back. And I'm not talking "Best regards, Berkeley Breathed." I'm talking a full-on, heartfelt note back to my brother that riffed on these themes. Awesome. As was watching the Christmas special for the first time in 15 years.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Berkeley Breathed. And I treasure my "Flawed Dogs" book, which is devastatingly cute.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Oh, I just adore that book. My ex got it for me while we were dating because our dog came from the pound. (I read it to her once a year to remind her where she came from, so she doesn't get too spoiled living in our snooty co-op.) It is so bizarre and sweet that it makes me tear up every time I read it.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home