free stats

Monday, December 18, 2006

Oh My, That's Hilarious...Wait, What Are We Laughing At?

Ever join a conversation mid-action and think you've picked up enough of it to either make a comment or laugh, then you realize from funny looks that you've missed too much and they now think:
a. You're an idiot.
b. You're weird.
c. You think the crash of the Hindenburg was funny.
Well at a party Saturday night I managed to pull this maneuver, but what added to the hi-larity was that my Significant Other was in the midst of his own little conversational snafu. A word about the party, before we go any further. It was lovely, as you might expect.

In a nutshell, I went to get my coat as we were heading out. At the same time, the hostess was good-naturedly ribbing S.O. a bit, asking him if we tease each other about "blog crushes," as she and her man do. He said "No," right away but realized that he was sort of confused because he's new to the lingo and in his head he was doing the slow-motion sideways dive and deep "Noooooooooo!" to try and stop himself from doing what he actually did: the sort-of-confused-so-I-end-up-coming-off-like-an-uptight-conversation-ending-fuddy-duddy maneuver. Then, I walked up not realizing what had just happened and rolled my eyes and said "Let's go," all mock-seriously and pointing to the door, not knowing until he explained on the elevator that this would have had the effect of making it look like I've spent nights sleeping on the couch, Andy Capp-style, with him fuming over the matter of blog crushes, which are just an online joke. So our bow and exit from the party displayed our trademark George-and-Gracie comic timing and Fred-and-Ginger elegance.

At the very least, it was just like the Hindenburg.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Not to your drunk hostess it wasn't!

I spent most of yesterday trying to remember the exact wording of that conversation, and how much I pushed the "blog crush" issue on you w/r/t another guest.

Ahem.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Not to sound all politico-facing-indictment but I don't recally any conversation. I must have been pouring my Jack and cokes stronger than I remembered. Nope, all just good fun. ;-)

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathryn's support group:

etc: hello. my name is etcetera, and i have a blog crush on rcr.

all: hello, etcetera.

kathryn: good. next?

brunchbird: hello. my name is brunchbird, and i have a blog crush on rcr.

all: hello, brunchbird.

kathryn: nice.

random new blog obsessee: wait! what!?!?!! i thought i was the only one!!!! i love him! i luuuuuv him! he's so ornery! and those eyes!!!!

kathryn: (soothing) shhhh, sweetie. its ok, new girl. you'll get past it. just look at all the women who have come before you.

(etcetera and brunch bird reach out to hug new girl.)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Papa said...

Gee, Brunch Bird. I thought you knew that you should only mix jack with water, or ice between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. Just like you switch to gin or vodka between Easter and Labor day. Jack and coke is appropriate between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, which coincides with the preponderance of college football season.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

And with that, RCR vowed to never read this blog again.

The End

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how about those Redskins?

5:14 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Hell of a team, hell of a team.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i swear i will stop perpetuating this line of conversation at every opportunity. this time i've actually embarrassed *myself* - and that is hard to do.

the skins rule.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a friend in college who was approached by a girl who revealed her undying love for him and his exact response was, "So, how about those Redskins?" Who knew other people dealt with that situation in the very same manner. Kudos RCR.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE, I JUST THINK HE'S A GOOD WRITER! THAT WAS MY ONLY POINT! (stomps off to the corner to sulk...)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Oh, and I have another confession. My s.o. and I were not talking about blog crushes. I made up a segue because I wanted YOU to talk about it.

I am a devious little hostess, I swear. I cut myself off about that point in the evening.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

That's it. You join Buddy Elf's dad on the Naughty List. Some swanky hostess seems awfully unconcerned that Santa is coming in less than a week!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladies, ladies, please. There's enough of the RCR to go around.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Ah Andy Capp - that lovable, wife-beating drunk...

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home