free stats

Thursday, December 14, 2006

I Felt Like a Wee Little Contractor, Minus the Tool Belt and Coin Slot (With Photos!)


I had to make a gingerbread house for work. (Because what professional workplace doesn't think having suckers make gingerbread houses is a good idea.) Figuring that it was going to be a nightmare of Boschian proportions, I intended to live-blog it. However, it was actually sort of easy and delightful, and took only an hour. That's because I made the cheat-y Martha Stewart versions. (That's right, Martha advocated a shortcut. Gasp and clutch your pearls at will.) Namely, you dispense with the, uh, gingerbread, and use graham crackers for sheetrock. Here's how my sweet little subdivision came in on time and almost under budget.

1. The materials. Annoyance? You've got to shell out for multiple bags of candy to get the roughly two pieces per bag you need for your decorations. By the way, you use a steak knife to cut the corners off of the graham crackers that form the front and back of the house.



2. Melted the white chocolate chips in the microwave. This is your joint compound. Martha advocated using a type of icing that requires dried egg white powder. I live near the Spanish Safeway. I'm lucky they have apples. Melted chocolate chips would have to do. Squeezed from a little disposable bag, they worked just fine as it turns out.


3. Decorate. My Significant Other came home from work at this point and at first sort of chuckled at me, then got a little closer and attempted to steal my building materials (for which he received a swift slap on the hand) and then suggested I add a snowman. "Capital idea," I said. "Make it." So he took off his dress shirt and sat down and made a snowman. All the while giving me a sheepish, "I'm not gay or anything but this is kind of fun," look. And his snowman was awesome.

We had a blast. They ended up being the little houses on Irony Lane.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Very cute! The doors - complete with windows - and lampposts are inspired genius.

But I hope to god the snow is coconut and not shredded mozzarella.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Well, it is Irony Lane so mozzarella might be called for. But yes, that is coconut. hee hee

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dakota - woof! woof wooof! rrrrrufff.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Let me think -
You have siblings and nieces and a nephew and multiple cousins and a vast number of friends, and their children - and of course, your "rents". And then there is all of the family on your S.O.'s side. I would think you do not have much time left before Christmas - you and your S.O. better get cracking!!!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Baxter and Meru- A-list doggie blog readers; I'm honored!

Daddy-O- I will not be a party to gingerbread house urban sprawl!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

V- Exactly, and I've never eaten a gingerbread house before but I'm guessing that getting to eat graham crackers slathered in melted white chocolate would actually be way more appealing.

Regs- Now, as a Southern girl I think you should make them with the Paula Deen modification: all crackers, coconut and candy should first be marinated in a pound of butter.

6:26 PM  
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Those are adorable.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! It's like Crib Notes, the Candy Land version!

3:44 PM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

That looked really, really delicious ...right up until the mozzerella cheese comment. Now I think I'm a bit nauseous.

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home