free stats

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Happy St. Nicholas Day! Grace Period for Newbies: Get Your Shoe Swag On

Those with a European background may be familiar with this custom. I was born there, so that's where my family picked it up. Before going to sleep on Dec. 5, you put a shoe outside your bedroom door. The next morning, you wake to find that St. Nicholas has visited, leaving a candy treat, a little toy, and if you've been naughty, some switches/twigs. The Significant Other woke this morning to find that St. Nicholas had left him a few luxury chocolates, an automatic yo-yo (it never needs rewinding people!), and just one switch. (St. Nicholas it seems, is keenly aware of one's failure to keep pen off the $300 duvet but recognizes that this is a minor infraction.) The dog appeared miffed for about the 500th morning of her life that she does not wear shoes. Although it's typically an a.m. thing, I think it's safe to say you've got the rest of the evening to jam one of your loved one's shoes full of goodies and then explain your new tradition. I guarantee you'll get a smile.

P.S.--If the shoe in question appears to be a somewhat inhospitable environment for foodstuffs, just put a bit of tissue paper in there first.

12 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

I'm thinking I should tell my roommates about it just for the opportunity to stuff switches in their shoes.

8:16 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

And PS, thanks for not putting your dog in shoes. My mother once bought shoes for TSD, but those never found their way onto his paws.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture looks just like you. As usual, I got a switch along with my goodies. I'm not sure where St Nick gets his intelligence. Heaven knows I am as good as can be all year.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... delicious foot-flavored chocolate....

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the challenge in my house is that the dogs would absolutely ingest any item i might plant in a shoe as a "gift." switches, chocolate, yoyos, perhaps the shoe itself as desert. how is it that your pooch did not poison herself on the sock-sweat-flavored chocolate?

10:10 PM  
Blogger E :) said...

I'm going to sound dumb now. But what do you mean by "switches"? Light switches? Hmmm...

10:22 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

RCR--That's the least of your problems. Ever tried getting stinky foot funk out of a yo-yo string? Im-possible.

Etc.--Once filled, St. Nicholas left the shoe on top of the desk in the adjoining room with just that problem in mind. And incidentally, since you and RCR are such little nose-wrinklers...THE CHOCOLATE IS WRAPPED. I'm not just pouring liquid Hershey's into the shoe or anything. Yeesh. ;-)

E:-)- Switches are just little twigs/mini tree-branches picked up off the ground, or in this case, from the underside of a Christmas tree. In our house, which is desperately in need of a new dimmer switch in the dining room, an actual electrical switch would have been a treat.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

I-66- If she ever tries to put shoes on your pooches again, you call the Humane Society, pronto.

Daddy-o- Yep, cherubic little always-praying me!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Ashburnite said...

awww...I haven't celebrated it since I moved out of my parent's house (college). I miss waking up to chocolate (especially the good European stuff).

3:23 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Is Black Pete responsible for the twigs and switches?

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWWW! My grandparents were dutch and used to buy us wodden shoes to put the candy in :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Phil, I see you know your mustachioed holiday pranksters.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home