free stats

Monday, December 11, 2006

For Those Expecting Me Saturday Night, I'm a Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins


Best. Weekend. Ever. (And for those of you who grumble about people doing their weekend wrap-ups on Monday, then go read Cutler or something.)

*Friday night: All-Holiday Blog Celebration hosted by the delightful I-66. V's got some pics up with the promise of more to come. Let's hope, because some folks are looking tip-say in the ones that are up there. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. As always, the talk was good. It's so nice to have conversations with people in bars that don't start with, "So who do you work for?" And the fact that the Significant Other was chilling in the basement bar with his boys (and birds) made for some nice upstairs/downstairs mingling variety.

*Late Friday/early Saturday: I know karaoking and dancing was on the agenda, but I ducked out in the wee hours for my own after-party: a bowl of Cap'n Crunch on the couch while watching the early-morning repeat of Austin City Limits. That night's performers? Ben Folds and Ray LaMontagne. Triple word score.

*Saturday morning: Occasionally, I try to earn my moniker by not only eating other's brunch offerings, but preparing my own. So Saturday I welcomed friends with babies. I find that it's easier for them to socialize during the golden hours between morning bottle and early afternoon nap. Between the four couples in attendance there were six kids: three already arrived and three in utero. The menu included baked praline french toast, bite-sized bagles with smoked salmon and black pepper, and scrambled eggs with chives. With 95% of those in attendance being working media I realized that we could have published something if we had to. Awesome.

*Saturday afternoon: Christmas shopping 'til my feet were crying and my debit cards were begging for mercy.

*Which leads us to Saturday evening. I was supposed to stop by the Santa Stumble for a couple hours before heading to The Big Hunt for Etcetera's birthday drinking. I got distracted. And spent the evening snuggling under the comforter for this season's first official "Elf" viewing. I drifted off to sleep to the sound of "Buddy Elf, what's you're favorite color?!"

*Sunday: typical Sunday morning stuff, then more shopping. Experiences in our nation's retailers that day ranged from odd to annoying. However, they cannot be blogged about because the gift recipients read this blog. So really, not listening to me whine is my gift to all of you.

*Sunday evening: gift wrapping, cookie baking (Snickerdoodles), watched "Tsunami: The Aftermath" on HBO. Interesting but not transcendent or anything.

But in general, best weekend ever. Thanks to all who made it that way.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the fact that you missed my birthday party on saturday night and then declared it the "best weekend ever" makes me think.... uh.... you dont like me so much? at least in 7th grade when the cool kids didn't show to my parties they didn't BLOG about how they had such a great time without me on monday. life is cruel.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great running into you again at the HH!

Glad to hear the rest of your weekend went well!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmph. I guess my invitation to ETC's birthday extravaganza was lost in the ether. It was a great weekend until I found out I've been snubbed.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Thanks Scarlett, indeed! Hey, remind me to share my friend's redhead theory with you the next time I see you. You'll find it funny.

V-(blush, giggle) I do what I can with what I've been given.

RCR- Well, as there was ice skating involved I'm sure she didn't want to be extra nervous while trying to land her double axles. I'll be happy to recreate how I would have looked, had I gone, by immediately falling on my ass the next time I see you. You know, so you feel like you were there.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rcr,i was afraid you would have melted the ice.

(zing!)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Good seeing you Friday, though I also frailed on etc's party on Saturday. Wicked, WICKED hangovers.

However, I plan to extend my fab weekend by going to see Ray LaMontagne live at 9:30 Club tonight. Woohoo!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice skating at the Big Hunt? Wow, that place must have gone downhill fast.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ice skating at the sculpture garden, smartass.

i might or might not have been the one in the tutu.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Kathryn-Oh, I am very envious. I had tickets to his show this summer out at Wolf Trap, but I sold them at the last second because it was about 120 degrees that day and I knew I'd be late. I didn't hear about the show tonight until I got an email today. Have fun!

RCR and Etc. — If I have to pull this car over and come back there... OK, clearly, there's only one way to solve this. I will procure a moonbounce and we'll have a do-over birthday party. Etc, bring your tutu. RCR, bring your seething bitterness. It'll be just like all the parties of my childhood. (And because my family is likely reading this, I'm just kidding. It was a very loving childhood.)

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh please, like I go *anywhere* without my seething bitterness.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Touche, sir. Touche.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

moonbounce + bloggers = next happy hr

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home