free stats

Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Best Blog Posts of 2006 as Picked By Me

10. I consider the DCeiver to be at his best when he's taking someone else's Top Whatever List!, or Best Bets for Eating Mediocre Food! list and ripping them a new one for compiling proof only that the list compilers and/or voters are morons. (I rest easy knowing he's currently too busy compiling evidence of Jason Cherkis and Eric Wemple being an embarrassment to journalism to worry about reading this particular list.) Which is why his post on the Washington Post's "Best Bets", and this one on The Hill's "50 Hottest on the Hill" made me spray Diet Coke out of my nose at high velocity.

9. You know those posts that make you say, "Hey, yeah! I thought that, too! And this blogger has just totally captured what I thought about the matter and put into words on his blog!"? Well that's what Good at Drinking, Bad at Life did with this simple, WTF?! post about Eastern Motors.

8. In his memorable "No, I Don't Want a Penis Cookie" post, Rock Creek Rambler made me weep for my gender.

7. The Sour 'N Sweet South Park customizer post that launched an afternoon of citywide wasted productivity.

6. I consider blog post titles a tiny little artform. BeeLog had my favorite of the year.

5. One night in April, after toiling in a warehouse for a good cause, I drove home a fellow volunteer who I'd just met that evening. God knows how we got on the topic but we geeked out about reading D.C. blogs. I didn't have one at the time and wasn't even thinking of starting one. "She was really cool," I thought after dropping her at her house and zipping off into the night. Imagine my surprise when in late June I clicked on a KathrynOn post and saw the same girl, pictured in a post titled, "Anatomy of a Budding Friendship" created entirely to honor her. And as a result of a comment I left on that post we ended up emailing and she convinced me to hit the upcoming Blogger Happy Hour. And now I have a blog. And I consider her a new friend. So the overall effect of this No. 5 post ended up being that of a bunny hugging a puppy under a rainbow next to a milk chocolate river.

4. Forget Santa and his Naughty List. Playaz know who's roasting. This post made being so, so wrong, feel so, so right.

3. Pygmalion in a Blanket's trilogy of "K-k-k-k-keyboard" posts, in which a friend gets punked with a Chia seed-smeared keyboard, were damn funny and had oddly beautiful Chia-focused photography.

2. Sent From My Dell Desktop's move to the greater NYC metropolitan area was a big loss for the D.C. blogging rabble. Sensible, well-written posts like "Always Order Dessert" show why.

1. And finally, Throwing Hammers had what was easily the best post of 2006 with "Drifting Over the Blogosphere."

15 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

This is now in my top 10 favorite posts.

Happy New Year, bb!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

KiSO-That's so meta. ;-) You too!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

k and bb - you two is the bestest! lucky for me, it's a small, small world.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Hammer said...

Whoa!

Well now this is a most unexpected honor. My humble thanks for bestowing it upon me - I'm genuinely flattered. I would be remiss however, if I didn't give due credit to Simon, as he planted the initial seed.

In a way, I guess that post was a collaborative effort between 22 bloggers, even if only two of them were actually aware of it.

Glad you decided to join our quirky little community - thanks again and take care!

6:58 PM  
Blogger the Nabob said...

Thanks

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I can't believe I missed this the first time! Thanks so much B-Bird! That just made my day! (See how many exclamation points I'm using? That's me, happy.)

Happy New Year!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm honored.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Janet Kincaid said...

Excellent! Love this round-up.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Geoff_Livingston said...

Excellent blog round-up. Happy New Year.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My South Park self is smiling. Oh and I agree with you about Hammer's drifting over the blogosphere post. Loved it.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

My thanks as well, Brunch Bird.

Of course you may now add Gerald Ford and Saddam Hussein to the list.

Yeah, James Brown beat the hell out of his wife, but I think the Good Lord will give a pass to the Hardest Working Man in Show Business.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy mother of god-I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard as when just reading DCeiver's "Best Of" post. Thank you!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlet said...

If I tried to make a best of 2006 list, they would have all been posts from December, haha. I can't remember back that far. Good job.

11:13 PM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

never have I simultaneously laughed my ass off while doing a hardcore happy dance before.

Thanks for the mention!!

2:04 AM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Glad everyone's happy. I had fun compiling it. This one appears to be going over much more smoothly than 2005's "Ten Posts I Thought Showed Significant Evidence of Idiocy" list. Folks were really cranky about that one for some reason.

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home