free stats

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

OMG! Just Got My Copy of the DC Media's Facebook!

My mailman delivered quite a treat yesterday: the 2006-07 membership directory for the National Press Club. Come along, let's look inside!

*This thing is a treasure trove of oddly specific information. Not content to go the typical professional directory route and list business contact information, the Press Club opts to print the home address, phone numbers, and personal emails of the reporting illuminatti who apparently didn't realize there was some box they were supposed to check on their membership form if they didn't want everyone to know that their personal email is chunkylover54@yahoo.com. Want to know where to go next Halloween to score some of Helen Thomas' famous caramel popcorn balls? Check the directory! Want to stalk the lovely entrants of Gavin's Hottest Media Types and The Hill's 50 Most Beautiful People? Check the directory, because there's at least two in there! Want to stalk Jeff Gannon? Of course you don't, but his info is in there anyway.

* There's a picture of summertime guests George Clooney and Sen. Barak Obama talking about...um, I think it was Darfur, but mon dieu that's a distracting photo I uh, .... yeah, they were definitely saying something about Darfur...or sexy tickle fights...

*Picture of Wonkette, back when Wonkette had strawberry blond hair and a great set of gams. Although, I have to say the NPC has slighted her a bit by putting her a good 30 pages deeper into the book than Scott Bakula. I also have to say that I have no idea why Scott Bakula was allowed into the Press Club building long enough to have his picture taken. He might even be asking these two guys for a sandwich in this picture for all I know.



So much helpful information, so many hours of enjoyment! It's hard to believe I have to wait another 364 days for the next one. And if you come near the Bird's house (someone, namely me, forgot to check the box), I'll sic the dogs on you.

10 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Wonder how much that book would get you on the street.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I think Bakula needs to Quantum Leap back a few years and go find his dignity.

And a haircut.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Sexy tickle fights, exactly what I was thinking.

Must. stop. fantasizing.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

I-66- Well if more than just the business listing for C-SPAN hottie Brian Lamb was in there I could probably put my kids through college, but without that I think it's just going to bring me new Lexus money.

WiB-Yeah, the picture doesn't do it justice. It's truly frightening. Luckily there's a picture of Ben Vereen above him to soothe my jangled nerves.

Heather- No doubt. That glass of water is having all the fun.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

wib - you beat me to it, but I was going to say he was obviously travelling through time to save one of the press corp folks. The camera must have somehow caught his "real" identity.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

Do you remember back in the late 80s, when we had Disney Sunday night movies on ABC, and Scott Bakula starred in a movie called I-Man and he was indestructible? No? Just me, huh? Ok.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Phil- that's where I was going to go, but I couldn't get around the fact that he'd have to look like somebody else (QL geeks unite!). So I punted and went for snark, a reliable go-to if there ever was one.

Arj- I remember that they were on, but I was very studious about not watching them. Although by the sound of it, I missed quite a gem. Damn my misspent youth!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Wow, this is turning into a VH1 Storytellers: Behind the Blog Comments. Me likey.

Arj- Can't say as I saw that one. I'm just happy someone a few weeks ago finally nailed down the show I've been thinking I was hallucinating for about 20 years: Stephen Spielberg Amazing Stories.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott Bakula was invited to address a National Press Club luncheon on Apirl 19th of this year about his leading role in Jeff Calhoun's highly praised revival of the Civil War Musical, "Shenandoah," which appeared at historic Ford's Theatre in Washington DC this spring.

Bakula was accompained by Paul R. Tetreault, Producing Director of The Ford's Theatre and a member of the Governing Board of the theatre, whose name sadly escapes me at the moment. (I might add that, according to NPC President and moderator of the luncheon, Jonathan Salant, questions emailed to the NPC website for Scott Bakula exceeded those for all other speakers up to that point in the year.)

For anyone who doesn't know and was somewhat taken aback by Scott Bakula's long, shaggy hair, he was in character for his critically acclaimed portrayal of patriarch, 'Charlie Anderson,' in "Shenandoah," which drew large local, national and international audiences.

Variety used words like, "...volatile, commanding," and "...excellent," to describe Bakula's performance as this father who struggles against the current of the Civil War to keep his family out of the fighting. Talkin' Broadway termed it, "...deeply thoughtful," and "...ultimately anguished." AllArtsReview simply said, "Scott Bakula is a marvel in the lead," while Theatermania praised his, "...rough-hewn charm and strong, clear baritone [singing] voice." Potomac Stages proclaimed, "The performance of Scott Bakula, as the patriarch ...is strong from the moment he wanders over those hills. It is a polished performance with every moment, movement and gesture thoroughly thought out and rendered with the confidence of a man used to dominating a musical stage."

Not to worry snarky friends. :-) Scott Bakula is firmly in possession of his dignity, as well as his talent, charm, and might I add sex appeal, though it does appear he could use that cut. :-))

7:01 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Oh SNAP! Bakula detractors: you've been SERVED!

Most. Well-researched. Comment. Ever.
At the very least Tallchief I think you for the explanation on the shaggy hair.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home