free stats

Thursday, November 09, 2006

My Significant Other Aggie is Gonna' Love This One

Donald Rumsfeld replacement Robert Gates has been at the helm of my significant other's alma mater, Texas A&M, since 2002. His stewardship of the university has made the S.O. exceedingly happy, as does his impending ascendancy to the secretary of defense post. In fact last night when I dared to say "Iran-Contra" he all but jammed his fingers in his ears and ran around the house going "nah nah nah I can't hear you!" His excitement has little to do with politics and everything to do with getting to hear about A&M in the news. Except now folks like Wonkette are turning their eyes toward College Station and the results are hi-larious. I foresee an awful lot of grumbling in my future tonight.

Incidentally, the issue of Texas Monthly that just came to the house (slogan, I kid you not: "The National Magazine of Texas") features Gates on the cover under the blaring headline, "Can This Guy Save the Aggies?" You can imagine the consternation the proposition that the Aggies needed saving incited. It's a great profile to read in light of the last 24 hours' turn of events. But I can't help snickering that the answer to the headline is now apparently, "Um, nope."

Texas A&M: "From the outside, you can't understand it; from the inside, you can't explain it."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! The Aggie's Aggie brother is not happy. He was diggin' Gates.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

National Magazine of Texas? I always thought that Texas should consider secession, apparently the feeling is mutual.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

L-But have you heard "Old Army's gone to hell," yet? ;-)

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home