free stats

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Candy-Seeking Children of Adams Morgan Fail to Appall

Our block closes for Halloween so children can shake residents down for candy without fearing for their lives in the 6-8 p.m. dash for the last available parking space. The residents of our co-op do something of a tailgate for the evening, lounging on the front walk with candy for the kids, thus avoiding the horror of peanut-butter-and-chocolate-smeared ruffians running roughshod through our building. So color me surprised that of the hundreds of kids who made their way to our walk, a full 85 percent of them were polite--at the very least mumbling a thank you or "Happy Halloween." Not being one for the kiddies normally (I just don't have that much to talk to them about) I was pleasantly surprised. This would not extend to the little cheerleader making her second pass at our generosity who instructed me as if she was in the midst of a bank heist to "Hurry up, before that dog comes over." Nor the two full-grown adults walking around with backpacks to get candy, gesturing vaguely to a child in the melee who may or not have been theirs. All in all though, a delightful evening.

*Special props to the boy who couldn't have been more than 10 or 11 walking around in a horror mask and carrying a bag that had "Bush's Foreign Policy" scrawled on it. Even better? His mother insisted it was his idea, not hers.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah the kids who came to my door had great manners. It was nice to see.

3:31 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

I hid from the kids in my hood.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Ashburnite said...

haha..."Bush's Foreign Policy."

future politician perhaps???

9:12 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I didn't have a single kid come to my door. I don't know what that says about my neighborhood.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home