free stats

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Brunch Bird's 'Why I'm Thankful' List

While I'm loathe to step away from the tub of Significant Other's Aunt Grace's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies long enough to post, I will do so. Pardon the chocolate smudges obscuring any of my words. Without further ado, my arbitrarily numbered reasons I'm thankful today:

1. That since I started blogging this summer I've not been greeted with an awkward cough echoing in the back of an empty room or chirping crickets, but rather with a warm reception. That was nice enough, but to think today about all the very cool people I've befriended in person at the Happy Hours is the proverbial gravy on my Tofurkey. I'm grateful that people like Kathryn, V, Roosh, I-66, and VP of Dior engaged in the effort to herd cats throughout the summer and fall to make it happen.

2. That I'm out in Texas right now with a family that makes me feel like I fit right in even when I'm eating only potato salad and baked beans at the best barbecue joint in the United States.

3. That I won't be around my family (and I must stress that this will be the only reason I'm thankful in this regard) to hear my big brother's 3:30 pronouncement after dinner, typically made with both fists resting atop his hips like Yule Brenner in The Ten Commandmants, that he has "the meat sweats."

4. That I have neices and a nephew who giggle when they see me, parents and siblings who hug me when they see me, friends who smile when they see me, and a Significant Other who kisses or waggles his eyebrows suggestively at me when he sees me.

I'm now about to head toward the spread laid out by Significant Other's Mother and loved ones to prove that the adage, "Everything's bigger in Texas," can easily apply to my waistline and rear while I'm here.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brunch Bird said...

I'm afraid that your assertion has drawn snorts and guffaws in these parts. While a young cousin actually works at the Salt Lick, so they do have some loyalty, the S.O.'s family must inform you that the best bbq is at Luling Barbecue in Luling, Texas. Until I try Salt Lick's potato salad and beans I can neither confirm nor deny.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah. County Line was the best when I lived there. Awesome stuff, and a great view of the city is you go to the one near Westlake Hills.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

OK, here's what I'm being told about County Line. Good views, good ambience, purveyors of quality barbecue, but not the best in Texas. And that's The Word.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

(I am leaning over, away from the microphone, to consult with counsel. I'll answer momentarily.)

3:02 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Luling is not all-you-can-eat and agreement is coming on the merits of the Salt Lick which you presented. However, I'm being told that there are 30+ years of bbq chowing in those parts informing these particular assertions about superiority and that as such, "Don't mess with Texas." Or something to that effect.

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home