free stats

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Live Blogging Jury Duty

10:30--OMG! I just read a proclamation on the wall stating that as of 1991, Oct 6-12 is Jury Service Appreciation Week in the District. I bet you we're totally getting a swag bag and maple macchiattos.

11:05--OK, so now I'm waiting in the Juror's Lounge. Further confirmation that things are looking up: the televisions are big and they're playing Ken Burns' "Baseball." And Boog's on screen!

11:10--A step backward: "Baseball" has been replaced on screen by a video about jury duty. Famed 1980s D.C. anchorwoman Renee Pouissant is filling in in the role of Troy McClure. "You may remember me from such informational videos as 'What Not to Eat on the Metro' and 'Navigating the DC DMV: A Fool's Errand.'" Oh this video is a hot mess. Synthesizer soundtrack and women in floppy-bow-around-the-neck silk blouses as far as the eye can see.

1--Lunch hour. Only options: courthouse cafeteria that looks and smells like hell's waiting room or Au Bon Pain. Things unraveling quickly.


1:35--Back just in time for the conclusion of "The Net." My favorite part was when Sandy Bullock hits an on-screen button to send a file to the "FBI Central Computer." As Annie Lennox crooned over the closing credits the woman next to me turned and asked what movie that was in a tone of hushed reverence, like she'd just been given a sneak peak of "Citizen Kane." In her defense, as you can see in the photo, everyone was pretty rapt.

3--So long suckahs! We've been dismissed. I consider the actual timing of the dismissal announcement to fall within the "not even Jesse Spano would go back to class at this point" range, so I'm heading home. And between the informational video and just having sat here all day I feel like ever attending Georgetown Law would be totally superfluous at this point.

7 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

π





(c'mon, you have to get that)

4:36 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Ahahahaha! I'm totally ratting you out to the newly appointed Undersecretary of Defense, appointed after the last one "got AIDS."

6:44 PM  
Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

BB, you just described my last tour of jury duty perfectly. Were there any strange characters in the lobby?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Ar-jew-tino my friend, it was like an Encyclopedia Brittanica of strange characters.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all up in the jury duty beginning Monday and I will be strolling in with wide eyes and rose-colored glasses in hopes of finding a little bit of gold in my observations. You left a comment on my Mouth Noise Homicide post and I must say, I'm flattered you read my blog! Brunch bird, I swear, no plumes up your skirt: you are an amazing writer!

12:56 AM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Super-Thanks! I'm still very new at this and I get excited like a puppy hopped up on Milkbones when I get a nice compliment like that!

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got another shout-out in Express today . . . your bit about the woman at jury duty who was in awe of "The Net" is quoted on one of the back pages.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home