free stats

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sure It's Full of Hubris, But Hopefully It'll Spur Some Competition (yawn)

For the second consecutive week, I've won the football pool I'm in. We pick college and pro, against the spread.* This is earning my significant other a fair amount of ribbing at work. In response, he's telling them his strategy is "letting me get lulled" into complacency with early victories. Apparently this complacency will motivate me to do things like give Georgia 26.5 points, which is what he did last weekend. (Full disclosure: Thanks to an unspeakably rude and, I believe, mentally deficient Georgia fan's behavior in a bar five years ago I detest the Bulldogs. So I wouldn't give them 26.5 points against a Pop Warner team.)

But he's not the first to wrestle with the agony of being the First Lady to my President Asskicker. A few years ago, I worked at a newspaper that on Fridays ran five newsroom reporters' pictures and picks for the weekend games and pitted them against five sports reporters, one of whom was my boyfriend at the time. Halfway through my unfettered march to victory that season, he went to buy a car. The guy at the dealership recognized him from his picture and then immediately asked what in the hell the deal was with the girl who kept winning every week. Ouch.

So what's the verdict? Do I continue looting, pillaging and sowing salt in this one's fields? Or do I go Donna Reed and demurely take a dive?


*For you law enforcement types dropping by, we're strictly using Milk Duds for payment. And I've got stats that show just how much the folks at DOJ enjoy the blog. During the workweek. Between the hours of 9 and 5.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Wow, first the DCPD, now the feds. Making friend all over the law enforcement community

Luckily, the red hair will complement the orange jumpsuit nicely, so you have that going for you...

Any kind words for the NSA, since they're reading all of this anyway?

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home