free stats

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Scenes From a Carmax

Went to Carmax this weekend to unload the convertible I acquired while living in West Palm Beach. It broke my heart because I love that car but I really don't need it since we've got another vehicle, I take Metro and cabs pretty much everywhere, it was a matter of time before it got stolen, and I'd like to get off the big oil teat.

Selling a car to Carmax is a fairly painless process. You schlep out to Laurel, they offer you about $3,000 less than the Blue Book value, you grudgingly agree, then sit in the waiting room for about three hours eating a nutritious vending machine Pop-Tart and diet Coke lunch and watching Spanish telenovelas while they do paperwork and the woman next to you threatens to knock her kids into next week if they don't sit down and shut up. While waiting, I noticed this sign on the door to the kid's closed play area. Ugh. That can't be good.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! That was hysterical...

I particularly enjoyed the fancy stencil-work that was used to create that sign...

3:12 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Everyones ball pit needs cleaning sometime...

I swindled the hell out of the Sterling Carmax 2 years ago. Talk about abusing the 7-day grace period...

3:22 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

A- You just know that some 11-year-old girl had to come into work with her dad at Carmax that day because the sitter bailed, and it was like "Some kid peed in the ballpit and you need a sign? Jackpot! Now's Brittney's time to shine!"

I-66- They were very strict with me. They mentioned "The I-66 Incident."

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A word of advice, "Don't buy a used car from Carmax." I bought a car in January 2006 and continued to have problems. The service department fixed the problems temporarily until the warranty expired and then I was stuck with a lemon. The head gasket was leaking, burning oil, etc. I cleaned it up and sold it back to them at a loss just to get it off my hands.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got a shout-out in WaPo Express this morning about this post. Check out page 40, which you share with one of my other fave blogs, Wonkette :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Erin- Thanks! I read The Examiner in the morning so I didn't see that. I just geeked out though and went down to the corner to get like five copies.

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geeking out is underrated :) glad you were able to get your hands on it in time to save it for posterity. love the blog, keep up the good work.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

E- Thanks!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home