free stats

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Let's Go to the Seaside


I'm taking my own advice from yesterday and I'm starting the weekend at 2 today. Heading to the seaside hamlet of Avalon, where a quiet beach and an adorable baby who happens to be my goddaughter await. The essentials (cooler full of beer and bathing suit) are in the car, provided the guys who park my car haven't just helped themselves to a hell of a good morning. I've just thrown together the most unabashedly cliched, mellow summer cd:

Hot Fun in the Summertime, Sly and The Family Stone
Up On the Roof, The Drifters
The Girl from Ipanema, Gilberto and Getz
Stagger Lee, Lloyd Price
Lovely Day, Bill Withers
Amber, 311
Easy Living, Billie Holiday
Banana Pancakes, Jack Johnson
Beyond the Sea, Bobby Darin
Summertime, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince
In the Summertime, Mungo Jerry
Love Me Or Leave Me, Nina Simone
Rebel Rebel, Seu Jorge
Fisherman's Blues, The Waterboys
Crazy, Willie Nelson
Summertime, Miles Davis
Chan Chan, Buena Vista Social Club
Family Reunion, Jill Scott
* I know, I know, it's one Bob Marley inclusion away from being ridiculous, but I'm sort of loving it.

So long kids.

5 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Ah yes... Three Little Birds by Bob Marley would fit the bill quite nicely.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I firmly and full-throatedly support the extra-days weekend (he typed, sitting in the student lounge in an NYU building four hours post-train into his own EDW), so have a lovely trip to the beach. I will confess a small amount of worry after the poem-quote and your Kathryn comment. So have a great time, and hopefully this one won't wear off as fast.

re: CD - All I have to say is, any mix that puts Billie Holiday and Fresh Prince together needs not explain itself.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Alejandra Ramos said...

Oh! That is the perfect summer playlist! Have a great time...

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you just throw in "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves while you are at it?

3:13 AM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

I-66- Even better, "Three Little Birds," but not the Marley version, the one sung by little kids on one of those Kidz Jamz cds.

WiB and Alej- It really did end up being the perfect cd for a delightful trip.

Big Bro- I would have, but you've still got my Katrina and the Waves tape. Hey-oh!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home