free stats

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Does 5 Books Left = 5 Seconds of Fame Left?

Over at Jessica Cutler's blog, she's crowing about Amazon only having five of her books left in stock. (Although, as the Amazon ad she includes points out, there appear to be plenty available in the oh, say, 53-cent range.) I would have been proud of her if I hadn't just read this on The Daily Pulp:
Amazonian Tactics
While I got you here, I thought I would clue you in on a dishonest tactic used by Amazon.com when it's selling books. On the homepage for my little book, Florida Pulp Nonfiction, there's a note in red that reads:
"Only 1 left in stock-order soon (more on the way)."
Well, I happen to know Amazon doesn't have any in stock. They order the book directly from the publisher after people order it on Amazon.com. In other words, it's bunk--a little prod to potential buyers to create an unnecessary sense of urgency. While I concede that I hope buyers will listen, I think it's worth knowing that Amazon isn't above such dubious methods to gin up sales.

Looks like Amazon got the poor dear all hot and bothered for nothing. Hope they at least sent her one of these.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who writes about Jessica Cutler anymore? Get a life!

3:45 AM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Anon, sweetie, she does--every day. So, fair game.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That doesn't mean you have to. Just let me forget she existed!

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home