free stats

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Media Celebrities Are Just Like Us

Got back in from my work assignment last night after a flight from Phoenix that arrived at National at an hour best reserved for the Colbert Report and ice cream snacking in pajamas. While schlepping off the plane I noticed that the little old lady schlepping in front of me was journalism icon/presidential ankle biter Helen Thomas. She looked tired. Not at all her feisty self. Then I realized that I was tired and not at all my feisty self.

Interesting side note: this is my second sighting of Ms. Thomas in her natural habitat. While working in the D.C. bureau of a metro newspaper chain a few years back I tagged along with one of our White House reporters one day. Turns out it was Helen Thomas' birthday so the reporter introduced me to her. I, in turn, babbled something incoherent about her being one of my journalism heroes. (As soon as I finished saying it, I realized I meant it.) She smiled politely at me, said something to the effect of "That's nice dear," and offered me a piece of cake.
Bottom line: Helen Thomas kicks ass, prefers buttercream frosting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, I just love that woman. I could just kiss her!

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home